What Good is the UN?
Sure, we all know that the UN has its weaknesses and “dark side,” but
- It provides food for 90 million people in 73 countries
- It assists over 36 million refugees and people fleeing war, famine, or persecution
- It keeps the peace with 120,000 peacekeepers in 16 operations on 4 continents
- It mobilizes 12.4 billion US $ in humanitarian aid to help people affected in emergencies
- It vaccinates 58% of the world’s children, saving 2.5 million lives/ yr
- It promotes maternal health, saving the lives of 20 million women/ yr
- …among other things!